It’s one of the first questions new authors ask: “How long should my book be? How many words should I write?” Here is some useful guidance, from children’s books to fantasy novels.
First-time authors come to us for help to take their book idea to the next level. One of the first issues to address is the desired word count of the book. That determines everything from the ghostwriting fee to the outline they’ll need for their manuscript. We get questions like:
- How many words make a novel?
- How many words should your first novel be?
- What should be a picture book word count?
- What should be a fantasy novel word count?
- What’s the minimum word count for a novel?